Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Alice Springs and Everything in between

So, if you didn't know already, Australia is a BIG place. So much to do and so much to see! So, one of my goals while here in Australia was to do some scuba diving at the great barrier reef. I mean, it's world famous and everything, so why shouldn't I do it?

So I believe last I left was after Eric and I got back from Moreton Island. Wow, that seems so long ago! Well, in my defence, I haven't had a good opportunity to post since then until now, when I am about halfway around the country! Well, more or less Eric and I booked it up to the Whitsunday Islands from Moreton Island. This in itself was a couple days of driving. But we finally go there, and there is where we wanted to do our great barrier reef dive. Well, after doing a little research we found a company that would take us out for two dives. So, we waited in a little surfer town called Airlie Beach for a day waiting for the boat. After sleeping in the car due to intense rain, we awoke ecstatic to go on our dives. We showed up to the boat, signed our liability agreements and took off for the two hour journey out to the reef. Well, about 1 hour later, our divemaster came up to us and said that because of the rain and the crummy surface conditions, we actually wouldn't get to dive that day. Then he informed us that he would try to get us a refund. TRY! Well, to make a long story shorter, we did end up getting a refund and decided to continue up the coast to a town called townsville (I know, original name huh!) to get our dives in.

Once in townsville, we found another dive shop that had a surprisingly great deal to offer us! We even got $200 off because they wouldn't have gone if we hadn't signed up! So, it turns out that Eric and I hopped aboard a live aboard vessel call the "sea-esta." (Creative eh?) Turns out that they were leaving on a 3 night 3 day dive trip all inclusive with 10 dives! These 10 dives include 2 night dives, and 2 wreck dives! Doesn't get much better than that. So off Eric and I went. To live aboard a 17 meter boat for the next three days!
So, the first night was quite exciting. First time I've ever slept (or not slept for that matter) on a boat. If you don't know already, a 17 meter boat is not all that long. Well sure enough you can feel every wave that hits the side of it. And while attempting to sleep, you are actually bouncing in and out of bed, and sometimes hitting your head on the bunk above you! I think I like sleeping in the car better.

But that only lasted for about 12 hours! After that, we got to get into the water at a bright and early time of 7 am! But it couldn't have been better! As soon as you get into the warm water, and take your first look under, you immediately realize why you do what you do. The first spot that we dove in had 26 meter visibility, and the most beautiful corals and fish you could ever imagine. There was one peice of marine life that looks exactly like a miniature christmas tree. It lives on a coral, and there are several different types of this tree looking thing. It is only about 2 inches tall, and ranges in colors from the brightest blue you can imagine to the brightest reds! Well, as I was pointing one of these fellas out to Eric, and admiring its beauty, I put my finger quite close to the little bugger. Now, imagine this scene. Eric and I have our faces about 6 inches away from one of these trees, then I put my finger up to it, and it vanishes from sight! It sucks itself so quickly into the coral that it grows from that it must be powered by some type of hydraulic motor! Then Eric and I, not knowing what has just happened, look at each other faster than a jack rabbit on a pogo stick, both wide eyed and in disbelief. Sure enough, you start laughing at the sight of the other person, and sure enough, when you laugh under12 meters of water it starts leaking into your mask. I guess that is why I had to go through Scuba training! For all the times you laugh underwater! :)

Then we went on a night dive, which I don't have a ton to write about except for the fact that everyone should do one of these sometime in their lives! It was incredible swimming in the black and all you could see was the glow sticks attached to your buddies tank. We had flashlights with us, but the moon was shining just enough to give the bottom an eerie feeling that was much better appreciated without the lights. Unfortunately, Eric and I didn't see any amazing night marine life.

Whew! This is getting long!

So, we were then supposed to do a wreck dive. Well, the divemaster got us all stoked to do it and said it was on for the next day. However, at about 1 in the morning, when we were about to leave to get to the wreck, the winds picked up along with the rain again. So, once again long story short, we didn't actually get to dive the wreck, but that was O.K. because we ended up diving the reef two more times! Can't go wrong there!

After our experience in Townsville, Eric and I immediately headed inland to get out of the rain that had been following us around since last week. "Ah, the outback will be sunny!" I say. "Let's do it!" Eric says. We then drove all night, all the next day and night, all the next day and night, and I think we are up to today being all day now. Whew! Lots and lots of driving! And the outback is something else too! It is actually a lot like driving through North Dakota. I know, sounds fun doesn't it! But you do get to see some classic signs such as the "Beware of the car eating cow" sign! But nowhere else, even in North Dakota, can you look infront of you and see no cars and a straight road all the way to the vanishing point, then look behind you and see no cars and a straight road all the way to the vanishing point. It is something else!
In fact, the roads are so straight that we just decided to take a nap while driving really quickly. As you can see, we fashioned a rope to Eric's belt and tied it off to the steering wheel. That's all you need to do to get a few hours of rest! And you wake up almost at your destination! It's incredible!
Well, I guess there was one thing to see in the 3 days of driving through the outback that we've done. We stopped at a great bouldering location called the Devil's Marbles. Considering it is 400 kilometeres away from the nearest decent sized town, there are actually no climbers here. But Eric and I did some climbing. At least we did what we could considering the rain that was still falling on our heads. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention. . .it is STILL raining on us. Here we are, in the middle of the outback, and we haven't seen the sun yet! I don't think I believe people when they say it is hot and sunny here. I'm writing this wearing my polar fleece right now! It's not hot! I guess you can see the rain in the Eric picture above. Yep, that's the middle of the outback!
So, finally, more or less because I am getting a little tired of writing right now, we are in Alice Springs. And you'll never believe what just happened. Do you remember Martin from my journey's in New Zealand? Well, sure enough, he just walked in the door to the Internet Cafe that I am sitting in! It sounds like we are headed opposite directions, but I think we'll at least go get a drink tonight or something! Wow. Small World!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great that you got to go diving on the Barrier Reef...too bad about the rain though. I hope you find some nice weather at the end of your long drive. Stay dry and I can't wait to see you soon!!!
-Katie

Anonymous said...

Yarrr!!! Here there be pirates!!

Anonymous said...

Hey man, those dives sounded awesome! That picture of the dark spot in the middle of the lighter water, what is that? Anyways, glad to hear that you and Eric are doing well with the traveling and met up with your old friend. Looks like the road is going to be made even shorter! Hope you are well, and give a hug to Eric from us back here in the States. Cheers and ciao!

Alexander Hrabovsky and Reana Emly

Unknown said...

i so enjoy your blogs!!! :)

Russ said...

It is a small world... but a very very full one.

-Russ