Monday, April 16, 2007

Wetness, Wilderness, and Wekas

Well, I know, I know. It has been a dogs age since my last post! In fact, I think this is the longest I've ever gone without posting, to tell you the truth. But have no fear! There was a good reason for this, and I have stories to back it up!

So first, the excuse. I have been in the backcountry for the past week and a half. And sadly, but true, there is not any internet access where I went. I know, I know. With wireless technology and all, but alas, it's not working there yet. So, the plan was this. I ended up meeting up with Martin (do you remember Martin from the Cape Reinga Coastal Walkway back in December?) Well, Martin was in the area and he wanted to do the Heaphy track. The Heaphy is one of NZ's 10 "great walks." The problem with the Heaphy is that it ends on the other side of the country really, and to get back to your vehicle, you'd have to drive 7 hours around a national park. So, that DEFINITELY leaves shuttling out. So, instead of trying to hitch back or bussing back, we decided to do another track called the Leslie-Karamea track. Better to walk for 7 days instead of drive 7 hours, right?

So yeah, we walked the Heaphy which took 4 days. We then Rested in a town called karamea for 1 day, and then walked the Leslie-Karamea track for the next seven days. Then, I had to spend a day seeing some sights in the golden bay.

Now, when I started this post, I thought I was going to have tons of time to tell you all kinds of details about all this, but as things have it, I am currently out of time for the time being. Should I say that one more time? hehe. Sorry. So, believe me when I say, I can't wait to write a nice lengthy blog, complete with lots of pictures, about these past weeks, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow. (Or at the latest, the next day)

So in the meantime, know that I am still alive, I am thinking about all of you, and I definitely know that my blog needs some T.L.C. in the next few days. So sorry to keep you all in the dark!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes!...First place :-) Glad you're still alive, can't wait to hear all about your latest adventures! Still working on the microphone thing - I think I'm going to buy one today so call me when you get a chance and we'll catch up!
Miss you,
Katie

Anonymous said...

The new post is just about my favorite blog since you left! I love the new addiction to tea and your funny little video. Your pictures are georgeous and the tramp looks so impressive on the map...wow! Thanks for the nice long update :-) I went to the climbing gym last night instead of buying a microphone for my computer...but I'll get it together one of these days (most definitely before the 22nd!! ;-)). Talk to you soon.
Miss you,
Katie

Unknown said...

Wow, just got through reading about your tramping adventure, how amazing was that misty forest picture, Yeah, I would've been standing there dumbfounded for about 10 min at least too :). As always, your adventures sound amazing! Happy thoughts!